Friday, July 17, 2015

Engage NY Stations - T Station: Toolbox Builder

Objectives/Resources Used: The focus at T station is for students to build their "Toolbox". I call their math notebooks their toolbox because it holds all the strategies, vocabulary, and examples they need to successfully tackle the math work. If there is not a notebook page for that day I assign a math journal or vocabulary page. 

Classroom Set Up: 
On my Station Board under T I write notebook page, vocabulary, or math journal. I have a "Toolbox" Table where I have an example notebook already finished showing the students how they should lay out their notebook page. I also have vocabulary wall at this station and post math journals here as well. There are scissors, glue, and a trash can at this station. Students are not allowed to decorate their pages with colored pencils unless all of the other station work is complete. 

Examples:
  • I found some amazing interactive math notebooks aligned to the engage lessons on TPT that you can get HERE. Students are always a day ahead in their notebooks so that they have pages prepared and ready for the small group lesson. I started doing this because I love the interactive notebooks but I hated waiting for students to cut out the pages and get them in their notebooks. Some would always be done right away while others took forever. It wasted to much time.
  • For math Journals I have used many different resources. This year I would like to try the k-5 journals for 4th grade. I used them when I taught Kinder so we will see how it goes. You can check out K-5 (they have a lot of awesome stuff) HERE.

Accountability/Assessment: Each day when we meet in small group I can see if the students completed their notebook the day before. If they did not complete it they do not get a chance to add that page and must instead write all of the items on their paper instead. 

No comments:

Post a Comment