Friday, July 17, 2015

Engage NY Stations - H Station: Hands-On

Objectives/Resources Used: The focus at H Station is for students to do something more real world and more fun. This is my center like station but it is not just fluff. I use the Engage NY modules to help plan activities for this station. When I pretest students I assess not only the content that we will be learning but the content they should already have mastered from previous grades in order to be successful. In the beginning of each Module they list Focus standards and foundational standards. 

For the Focus Standards I wanted to have more all encompassing activities for students to apply their new learning. I found some awesome project ideas on K-5 and am going to use these to start of the year.
You can check out the awesome projects options they have HERE. My plan is to have 1 or 2 options a month for projects that align to the standards we are working on. Students at H can work on this throughout that time. 

I really want the students to focus on revising and editing their work and also getting feedback from their peers. I want to work on teaching them to critique each others work and build a community of positive communication and hard work. I got this idea from the book study we did over Summer break and it is one of my goals for this year. You can read more about my goals and what I did this Summer HERE.

Classroom Set Up: 
On my Station Board under H I write whatever they are working on today. "Multiplication Game, Fraction Pizza's, Million Dollar's Project" etc.. I have table in my room where I also store games and activities that I use all year. I also have a bin where I put the activity or options for the week.  

Examples:
Module 1: Place Value/Rounding/Addition and Subtraction
  • Projects:
    • August: Subtraction is an area I know without assessment that the students will struggle. (In my opinion subtraction is the hardest concept to master!!) For the first month of school I am going to have students do a "Spend a Million Dollars" Project. There are many variations of this available all over TPT. I found a few free ones that I am going to base my project off of. I like the simplicity of this one HERE. I may break down and buy a really cute one but I am trying to avoid it!! Students will have all of August to complete it. 
    • September: How will you use math when you grow up (Future jobs project).
  • Along with the ongoing project I will always put out some other short fun activities for students to do. They really like math mazes and crafts. I always do a place value block party craft. I like this one I purchased on TPT a few years ago.
    You can grab a copy HERE
Module 2: Metric Measurement
  • Projects
    • October: Research, Graph, and Convert Measurements of tall buildings around the world.
Module 3: Multiplication and Division
  • Projects
    • November: Thanksgiving Dinner Project
    • December: Gingerbread Dream House Project
Module 4: Geometry
  • Projects
    • January:
Module 5: Fractions
  • Projects
    • February:
    • March:
Module 6: Decimals
  • Projects
    • April:
Module 7: Customary Measurement
  • Projects
    • May:

Accountability/AssessmentThis is not a daily must finish station. Students should only be spending a little time here each day and can dedicated more time when they have finished their other work. I do strategically place my hard workers at this Station first because I know they will get everything done.

I am thinking about creating a board where students can just mark progress they are making on the projects. Students love this station and like to show off the work they complete here. I do check to make sure they are completing it correctly and help them learn to work with each other on this as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment