Thursday, July 16, 2015

Engage NY Stations - M Station: Math Mastery


Objectives/Resources Used: The focus at M station is to build fluency. I use the fluency activities from the Engage NY lessons. If there is a Sprint that is the only activity they will complete that day if there is not a sprint I use the activities to create my own problems for students to complete on their personal white boards. 

Classroom Set Up: 
On my Station Board under M I write the page number of the Sprint or I write Whiteboards so students know what they need to do. I have a small area of the classroom dedicated to M station. There is a small bucket of timers (teach and model how to use appropriately or the timers will drive you crazy!), whiteboard markers, and a space where I can write the problems for Whiteboard work. 

Examples:
  • Sprints: For 4th Grade Module 1 Lesson 1 there is a Sprint. Students set the timer for 3 minutes and complete Side A of the Sprint. They discuss how the patterns they noticed and if they have time they can try and beat their time on Side B or do this at home that night. 
  • Whiteboard Work: In Lesson 2 there are 3 activities listed. Skip-Counting (reviews 3rd grade standard), Place Value, and Multiply by 10. I try to take a little from each activity or focus on a skill I know students need to practice. Here is a sample of what I would write on the board.
      1. List the multiples of 3 to 36. Read your list forwards and backwards with             your group then discuss the patterns or tricks do you notice?
            *Try saying them again without looking!! 
      2. Use your place value chart template to show the numbers using disks and           write the number in standard form below it. 
                5 tens
                3 tens 2 ones
                4 hundreds 3 ones
                *4 thousands 2 hundreds 3 tens 5 ones. 
      3. Fill in the blanks to make the sentences true. 
                 10 ones x 10 = 1 ________
                 10 x ________ = 2 hundreds
                 10 x ____ = 2 thousands
                 *10 x 10 thousands = ___________


Accountability/Assessment: One quick check I have in place for M station is for students to put a dot next to the task or question they had the hardest time with. After stations are complete I can easily see what skill we need to discuss or reteach most. 

No comments:

Post a Comment