Saturday, July 18, 2015

Engage NY Stations - S Station: Self Study

Objectives/Resources Used: The focus at S stations is for students to practice skills they personally need to work on. Last year this was my H station focus but I wanted something more because too many students were finishing. I am not sure if I am going to make this a daily rotation or more of a what to do when you're through option. I do not use Engage NY as much for this station because I have found that while the curriculum does go back to other standards it does not spiral through everything as much as I would like. To combat this I purchased a CCSS Spiral called Math Moves on TPT that allows students to practice all the standards each week.
You can grab a copy HERE. Students do 4 problems each day Monday through Thursday as a part of their morning work in their homeroom classes. Then on Friday's (and I do not do it every Friday), students take a quiz over the same types of problems they worked on all week. 

I have students write down what area or domain they feel confident in based on this assessment and I have them select an area they need to practice. Then during S station they select an activity based on that domain. I purchased this  math station pack and created folders for students to easily select. I set these up in the beginning of the year and did not have to do much upkeep. They have the answer keys inside and work pages along with a little example or short explanation of the skill. I also put fun games and other things I find in this area for students to pick from. 

Online Options: I would also like to have more online work happening in class each week so I am going to allow students to do Skoolbo, Xtramath, and/or Tenmarks.com during this station. 

Classroom Set Up: 
On my Station Board under S I write Self Study. I also have a carpet area where I keep all of my self study options grouped by CCSS Domain. This year I am going to add some online option packets that have the directions to get to all of the online places along with all the login information. Last year I posted it on the wall and students have the login info in their binders as well but they still seem to waste a lot of time getting logged in. 

Examples:
  • Here is an example of the self study folders students can pick from. They have card pieces and worksheets to go with them. The students like these and do really well checking and grading themselves honestly.

Accountability/Assessment: Students can turn in their station worksheet and I can easily see if they did real math work or just wrote down answers. All of the online work allows me to see reports of what they did, how much time was spent etc. I tell the students though that this station is for their personal progress. They will see gains on their weekly math moves assessment and that will tell me if they studied or not. 

No comments:

Post a Comment