Friday, October 10, 2014

Engage NY Homework


While the engage homework is great I hate sending it home the day of the lesson. Homework shouldn't be a household burden it should be work students are confident in to practice. It also can be hard assigning the homework especially if you don't assign the whole thing (which I feel is a punishment to the kids after a long day of school!). My homework board would look like this Monday - HW Page 1.A.27, Problems 1 a,e,g and 2, and 4 ALL < That is confusing even for me! I also struggle with sending home old homework as students lose the worksheets before we need them or they lose the problem set so they do not have that direct model. In my class I have a few different things going on instead of the actual Engage Homework sheets. 

***I am very lucky to have very few students without internet at home. For students without access I do assign old worksheets and we create the packets together at the end of each week.

Tenmarks.com - I LOVE this site! It gives online practice that really challenges the students. It also gives great reports on their progress through specific standards. I teach different levels of math so I can assign other grade levels of work if necessary. Best part is it's FREE. There is a paid option but I love the free option so I haven't needed to look much further. My students are required to complete 2 tenmarks assignments each week. I assign way more than this and they can pick areas they want to work on. Many students do way more. 

xtramath.org - I need my students to be practicing their facts outside of school because the fluency mastery is just terrible yet I do not have the time to spare during the day. My students are expected to sign in to xtramath at least 4 times a week to do fluency. I start them at addition! Again this site is free! 

Spiral Activities - Along with these online requirements I give out a math spiral each week. I actually made a booklet for each quarter and only 3 students have lost it during the quarter(not bad!). The spiral covers all CCSS Domains each week this way even though we haven't taught fractions yet in Engage my students are using the vocabulary and practicing it all year. They also have weekly tests you can give that match the work students completed that week. I do not give these weekly and when I do it is not for a grade. I use it for our data folders. Students log how they are progressing through the standards and select one area to focus on while also listing one area they feel confident in. The kids actually really like the spiral and it is easy for parents to understand as well. If you want this amazing spiral you can get it HERE. I even got our 5th grade math teacher to buy it! 

Engage Practice - Okay so with all of this going on I still want my students to practice that Engage level work. I also needed a way for families to easily understand the different math homework requirements since obviously this is not just a worksheet each night. I created a monthly calendar that has all of this information along with a problem to complete each night Monday - Thursday. Students complete the work on a separate sheet of paper and turn it in at the end of the month. We still discuss the nightly problem each day in class. October is actually the first month I have tried out the calendar and parents are really loving it! I put it on TPT for free and am in the works of making more calendars. The questions are from Engage but they are review. Most of the questions for October Review Module 1 and 2. November will have Module 1, 2, and 3 and so on. Check out my calendar and give me some feedback please HERE!!

How do you do homework with Engage NY? 

No comments:

Post a Comment